Decorative yard signs have been more and more popular in outdoor decor. These items serve multiple purposes, such as giving guides, delivering messages, advertising, lightening exterior decor, etc. To meet your intended uses, you need to get suitable Yard Signs. There are many factors that you need to concern when choosing an outdoor sign. They are material, size, cost, design, etc. This article will focus on Yard Sign Material and bring helpful tips for your material choice.
What Are Yard Signages Made Of?
Yard Signs (or Lawn Signs) are items set out on the grass or anywhere outside. Lawn signs are commonly used for political campaigns, real estate, business purposes such as sales, promotions, grand openings), directional signages like parking, welcoming, or events such as wedding, Halloween, graduation, and so on. These signs can be printed single-sided or double-sided and cut to any form. Lawn signages can be hung or put on wire poles, fitted in frames, or simply propped up. They can be made of various things. The selection of materials depends on the different needs of users. Below are some typical outdoor sign-making materials with their pros and cons.
Most of this plastic is polypropylene which has fluted structures at the center. Polypropylene is placed between two sheets of plastic. This material is used to make a lot of applications such as packaging, boxes, self bins, etc. Many types of yard signs, such as directional signages of events, real-estate signages, and business signages, are made of Corrugated Plastic.
- Light & Portable: Corrugated Plastic signs are very light and portable. You can put it anywhere you want conveniently.
- Weather-resistant: Corrugated Plastic signs can be put under harsh weather conditions. This material is less likely to be rusted and downgraded over time.
- Cut easily: You can cut aluminum boards to any size, shape you want in an easy way.
- Cheap: This kind of plastic is not pricey. It is an ideal choice for those wanting to save money.
- Water/Stain/Chemical-resistant: Corrugated Plastic can prevent lawn signs from water, stain, and chemical substance.
- Recyclable: It’s not hard to recycle Corrugated Plastic Yard Signs. You can make boxes, selves, etc., from Corrugated Plastic Signages.
- Likely to warp and bend
- Its appearance seems not to be expensive and ever-lasting
Aluminum is a great outdoor material. Aluminum is commonly used to create license plate blanks, no parking signs, and real estate signages. To print inks or other painting coats on the surface of aluminum signs, we need to take ‘corona treatment’. This process helps inks or paint stick to the surface of aluminum signs easily. It can take two or even more to make sure of the great adhesion. After finishing the treatment, we will move to the next step, which is digital printing.
- Very Light: Like Corrugated Plastic, aluminum is very light, so that you can relocate it quickly.
- Strong and extremely durable : If you want to have a long-lasting outdoor sign, aluminum signage is an ideal choice. You can use the sign in 3 – 5 years.
- Rust-free: The nature of aluminum is rust-free. So you can display yard signs without worries about rust.
- Have a wide variety of color, thickness, and size: Aluminum yard signs are easy to cut to any shape and paint with various colors.
- Waterproof: Aluminum will protect your lawn signs from rain and snow. This material is excellently water-resistant.
- Recyclable: Aluminum is the most recyclable material. There are numerous ideas for you to make other stuff from aluminum yard signs.
- The shiny gleam is not for everyone.
- Reflecting light can interfere with eyesight.
- Compared to other materials, aluminum signages cost you more money.
Alumalite is nearly similar to Dibond, mainly used for high-quality signages.
- Long-lasting: Alumalite is rigid and durable so that it can last for a long time.
- Lighter than solid aluminum.
- Print easily: You can print on them with various substances like paints, digital inks (UV or solvent cured), screenprint inks, and pressure-sensitive vinyl.
- Cut easily
- Can use both sides
- Thicker than aluminum
- Expensive: Because of the high quality, the price of alumalite is more pricey than other materials.
PVC is also a good Yard Sign Material. PVC signs are usually used as directional signages.
- Widely available: This material is easy to find at any store.
- Heavier than other materials like aluminum
- Likely to chip
- Difficult to repair
Vinyl is a material used for different uses: murals, large banners, floor graphics, window graphics, and vehicle graphics. The material is also made up of numerous layers. It has a thicker ribbed or corrugated plastic core. It would be lighter than solid aluminum.
- Ideal for temporary or event signs
- Low maintenance
- Vinyl graphics are easy to install and remove
- Signages made from vinyl are portable.
- Relatively fade-resistant
- Easy to clean
- Not long-lasting
- Overlays cannot be reapplied once removed
- Not rigid
- Less sturdy and durable
- High-gloss vinyl surfaces can cause glare
Tips For Choosing Yard Signage Materials
When it comes to yard sign material selection, here are some factors you need to consider.
You don’t need to consider weather conditions when choosing a home sign. But for outdoor signs, it is the first thing you have to care about. What is the weather like in your area? Is it hot, cold, or very wet? Based on weather conditions, you will choose a suitable material that can display as long as possible.
Cleaning & Longevity
Lawn Signs are used for exterior decor, so they can easily be covered by dust and dirt. If you don’t clean your sign regularly, your sign will be downgraded fastly. When getting an outdoor sign, you need to think of the material that you can clean easily.
If you have a tight budget, the cost is an essential factor you have to consider. High-quality products usually cost more. So, let’s find a balance between quality and cost to ensure that you can get the most suitable one.
In case you only need to display yard signs in a short time, you can choose a cheap material and meet your needs. Don’t waste money buying long-lasting signages if unnecessary. Let’s select the material that fits your timeline.
Repair & Replacement
In many situations, your sign can’t avoid damage. At that time, you need to think of whether you can repair it or replace it with a new one. If you want to use a lawn sign as long as possible and save money, let’s try choosing material that you can repair when it’s broken down. Some materials can be durable, but you cannot fix them if there is any damage.
To sum up, there are several typical Yard Sign Material choices including Corrugated Plastic, Aluminum, Alumalite, PVC and Vinyl. Before making a deal with Lawn Signages, you need to consider important factors such as weather, cleaning, maintenance, cost, life span. I hope you will have the finest sign material for outdoor signs and make a great look for your space with them.
How to make a waterproof wooden yard signage?
If your sign is made of wood, you can add a polyurethane sealant to make it waterproof. With a spray bottle, it is easy to apply to the wood. 1-2 polyurethane coats help your signage last longer.
What material is best for DIY outdoor signage?
Aluminum is an ideal choice for DIY outdoor signages. It is lightweight, long-lasting, and affordable. You can cut aluminum boards to any shape to make your own signage. It’s easy to print on aluminum signs.
How to make yard signages cheap?
You can reuse plywood available in your house to save money. Use a saw to cut the plywood to any size you want instead of using expensive cutting machines, then make a flat surface for your signage by using sandpaper.